Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Changes

Something very strange is happening to me.  It's something I can't quite explain, and if I did, you wouldn't understand.  You have to understand Cooke City, MT and my role as the pastor of the town in order to understand.  Allow me to try to explain with three examples: two lessons and one new item in my (very small and bland, I admit) wardrobe.  Knitting; Dancing; and Cowboy Boots.  What in the world?


Last fall when I was just the new kid in town several of the women in the church who live out in Wyoming taught me how to knit.  At first I learned because it gave me an opportunity to spend time with them and do as they were doing.  Since then, however, I've continued to knit, even on my own.  I even took my knitting with me to Massachusetts for something to do while on the plane!  As if a book wouldn't suffice!  At one point the man in the seat across the isle from said, "Hey, 'Needlepoint', what are you working on?"  For some reason, "Needlepoint" felt very offensive right then, as if he was mocking my knitting.  He wasn't, but in that split moment my pride was crushed.  This week I knitted a hat for a woman in town who's been coming to Bible Study each week.  It was a birthday gift for her 61st birthday - today.  So, now I'm a Needlepoint. 


As for dancing, I'm also learning how to dance - partner style!  Throughout my entire life I have thoroughly enjoyed being on the dance floor be-bopping with friends to whatever music was on, but now the only dancing I'm doing is with one hand on the shoulder opposite me and one hand in a sweaty palm.  So far this winter I've learned the two-step, tripple step, a fast tripple-step, western swing, stationary cha-cha, east coast swing, and the Teton Mountain Step.  Last week I practiced (well, it was more of a passive activity) being thrown into the air doing a little loopty loop of some kind in the western swing.  Talk about a rush!  That stunt will become public here in a week and a half at the local "Hog Roast" - the biggest weekend of the winter in Cooke City, MT.  Up until this winter, I've always declined people's offers to dance with them, saved by the excuse that I didn't know how.  Now, I'm going to have to dance with them and realize at the same time that they don't reallly know how!!  I'm enjoying this culture while I have it! 


And now for my purchase.  A girl can't really do a western dance without the proper western footwear, now can she?  Therefore, I now own my very own pair of cowboy boots straight from a western style clothing store!  Check them out below.  What more can I say?  :) 


1 comment:

  1. Kristi6:17 PM

    Bop, you've gone over to the dark side! Cowboy boots?? Just kidding - these are quite fetching!

    Wish I could see you execute your new dance moves :)

    Don't tell Kimie your new nickname - she would instantly use it to replace Scar, Nemo, etc.

    Speaking of Kimie, I think you & I and everyone else who knows her should write her immediately - she sounds miserable at boot camp!

    ReplyDelete